On leaving school Michael became an apprentice in the print trade. After completing this, he became a printer’s journeyman.
In 1973 he signed onto “The Knowledge”, (the taxi driver’s apprenticeship) and in 1975 he gained his badge, which he has held since. He has been a working taxi driver for most of that time. There was a brief period when he ventured into a retail business, eventually owning a shop in Romford town centre. However, the allure of the freedom of cab driving brought him back to the trade. It also enabled him to pursue other activities, in particular charity work, which he didn’t have time for when responsible for staff and a busy shop.
Licensed London taxi driver for almost 46 years
Many projects undertaken (see below) have demonstrated Michael’s planning and organisational skills, in addition to often acting as a representative for the London taxi industry. He was a driver on the Com-Cab radio circuit for 17 years and has taxi trade-associated businesses that he runs alongside his driving work.
Credit cards in the taxi trade
25 years ago, Michael set up as the first company enabling taxi drivers to take credit cards for journeys, seeing the increase of usage of cards and the loss of revenue to the trade without having this facility.
London Olympics 2012
Michael worked with the Mayor of London, transporting his VIP guests to the Olympic venues in emission-free hydrogen vehicles. He was selected through his longevity in the trade and his ability to converse with guests at all levels.
Ongoing vehicles testing of emission free vehicles
Michael continued working on a two-year project testing a vehicle for the Hytech Consortium.
The Worshipful Company of Hackney Carriage Drivers
- Member of the Company for over 20 years and a Liveryman since 1997.
- Participant on the Children’s Magical Taxi Tour – a charity that takes over 400 people, including 200 terminally-ill children to Disneyland Paris every year.
- Member of the Company’s Membership Committee for the past eight years.
- Hobbies include: charity work, photography, golf, architecture, DIY and family
- He did start flying lessons some time ago, and would like to resume lessons in the future.